Since I spent $4 per pound on a magical, pastured turkey for Thanksgiving, I need to get the most out of it! I basically followed SOP for picking a chicken, although this 23-pounder looked more like a Thestral once I was done with it. I figured out a way to use the turkey skin, which I usually just chuck in with the bones to make bone broth: Fry It!
I’m one of those people who just eats the skin off the chicken at Kentucky Fried Chicken—I don’t care about the chicken itself. If you love KFC fried chicken skin with 11 herbs and spices, this snack is for you (and you only need 4 spices).
Keto Turkey Snack Recipe
(“Turkey Skin Snack” sounds gross, yes? I’m going with “Keto Turkey Snack.”) This post includes affiliate links.
- Turn oven to lowest setting. (On my oven, that’s 170°)
- Cut turkey skin into 1–2 inch pieces. (Use those hard bits of turkey with the skin attached, too.)
- Toss it into a cast iron skillet. (Turkey skin is fat, so you don’t need oil or anything.)
- Sprinkle the turkey skin with salt, pepper, cayenne, and onion powder to taste. (Lots of salt & pepper makes it taste just like KFC chicken skin.)
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until it’s crispy.
- Store it in the fridge. (I’m not sure that’s necessary, but better safe than sorry.)
- Buy Lodge cast iron skillets on Amazon with free Prime shipping! (Look for deals, I’ve seen them as low as $4 each!)
I buy these spices from Amazon because they’re cheaper than the small grocery store bottles and they’re organic!
I buy Himalayan pink salt at Winco for $1.30 per pound! I buy the fine ground pepper from Costco because it is cheap and the texture is perfect. You can buy these on Amazon as well, but they’re usually not cheaper than Winco/Costco:
No Kitchen Waste: Make Dog Treats!
If eating fried turkey skin grosses you out, skip the salt and spices and make these Keto Turkey Snacks for your dog! I made half without salt & spices and our puppy loves them! We aim for No Kitchen Waste in this house!
I’m doing 10 days of Keto before our next Disneyland trip. Keep reading for the quick Keto diary below.
Keto Diary Day 1:
- Fat 72% (81 g) — Protein 21% (54 g) — Carbs 7% (19 g).
- No Keto flu, but I don’t expect it as I generally eat Paleo-ish.
- I only ate 1041 calories, and that included eating 2.5 Townhouse crackers slopped with 1 Tbsp butter to hit my macros. Pretty sure Townhouse crackers aren’t Keto but they brought my carbs up to 19 g and worked as a vehicle for butter. I wasn’t hungry at all, but my calorie goal is 1600. Had I eaten 600 additional calories, I would have felt sick.
More Paleo – Whole30 – Gluten Free Recipes that are also Keto!
Do you have a great way to use up every bit of your Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey? Please share it in the comments!