Mayonnaise is gross. Get the printable recipe for spicy deviled eggs without mayo below.
[Affiliate links in this post are for your convenience and offer free shipping with Amazon Prime. Get a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime!]
How to make deviled eggs—no mayo!
This recipe calls for heavy cream as a substitute for mayonnaise in deviled eggs. Sour cream works really well too.
Half and half works in a pinch, but regular milk makes the filling grainy.
I like the kick of spicy horseradish in deviled eggs. I use Silver Spring horseradish, which is spicy enough to burn your sinuses if you eat it straight, but just adds a nice flavor when its heat is diffused by the eggs and cream. If your horseradish is blah (or you just want to make the egg filling spicier), add 1/4–1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper to the filling.
I use my food processor (this is my favorite food processor—and it’s cheap!) because it breaks down the horseradish strands better than a hand mixer can.
I hesitate to call this a recipe, because making deviled eggs is not rocket science; just take it slowly when adding the liquid ingredients so the filling doesn’t get too loose.
How to make easy-to-peel hard boiled eggs:
- Boil water.
- Add eggs.
- Reduce heat and simmer the eggs for 12 minutes.
- Drain the hot water, add cold water and ice and let the eggs sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Peel the eggs.
Get the printable recipe for Spicy Deviled Eggs—No Mayo! below:
- 1 dozen eggs, hard boiled and shells removed
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- ¼ cup spicy prepared horseradish
- 3–5 Tbsp heavy cream
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (garnish)
- Slice eggs horizontally and put yolks into a food processor.
- Add mustard, horseradish, and 3 Tbsp heavy cream. Pulse until smooth.
- Add salt to taste, up to ¾ tsp.
- Add cream 1 tsp at a time and pulse until the filling reaches desired consistency.
- Transfer the filling into a Ziploc bag, cut the corner off, and pipe the filling into the eggs.
- Dust the tops of the eggs with cayenne pepper.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Get More Healthy Easter Recipes like Deviled Eggs NO MAYO!
How much do you hate mayo?